Guide to Study in Australia
Updated: Mar 25, 2021
Australia encourages creativity, innovation, and independent thinking throughout its universities. International students who study and live in Australia soon find that their education is challenging but also fun, and rewarding. As an international student in Australia, you can expect to live, grow, and learn in a young, friendly country full of opportunities. After successfully completing their degree, students soon find that they are competitive in today’s international job market.
Today in this blog I will tell you why you should choose Australia as your study destination.
✅ Top Ranking Universities: Australia is home to many top-ranked universities and their degrees are recognized worldwide.
✅ Part-time Job: In Australia, international students can work part-time up to 20 hours a week during their study period and can earn a minimum of 19 AUD per hour.
✅ Post-study work visa: After completion of the course you can work up to 4 years by getting a Post-study work visa.
✅ PR Visa: Australia allows international students to apply for permanent residency once the course is completed.
✅ Dependents Allowed: Australia is one of the few countries that welcome dependents along with the student where the dependent can work as well.
While these advantages should be enough to convince you for pursuing your education in Australia, for those who are still on the edge, let me mention a few extra benefits.
✅ No application fee: Unlike other countries, Australian Universities do not charge any application fee. So, you can apply to multiple universities to increase your chances of getting admission.
✅ Low Entry Requirements: The majority of the universities have lower entry requirements which make most of the students eligible for their preferred course.
✅ Varied Programs: Australian institutes provide a broad range of programs for almost all the disciplines such as IT, Engineering, Health, Business, Hospitality, etc.
✅ Pathway programs: The best part is, they offer pathway programs which means if you cannot take direct entry to any of the degree program due to your low IELTS score or failing to meet some other entry requirements they will offer you English Language Intensive Courses (also known as ELICOS) & Diploma leading to degree programs.
✅ No Visa Interviews: There are no visa interviews and you get quick visa outcomes.
Most popular universities of Australia among Indian students
1. The Australian National University: ANU is a world-leading university in Australia's capital city, Canberra. It is a leading center for research, education, and policy engagement. ANU teachers have an outstanding record of success with AAUT awards, with a sector-leading total of nine teachers and one team being recipients of these prestigious awards in 2017.
2. University of Sydney: They are regularly ranked in the world’s top 50 universities. Their excellence in research and teaching makes the University of Sydney one of the top universities in Australia and highly ranked among the best universities in the world.
3. Monash University: it was founded in 1958 and is the second oldest university in the state of Victoria. It is a member of the Group of Eight, an alliance of leading Australian universities recognized for their excellence in teaching and research.
4. University of New South Wales: The University of New South Wales is an Australian public research university located in the Sydney suburb of Kensington. Established in 1949, UNSW is a prestigious Australian university ranked 44th in the world in the 2021 QS World University Rankings and 67th in the world in the 2021 Times Higher Education World University Rankings.
5. University of Technology Sydney: The University of Technology Sydney (UTS) is a public research university located in Sydney, Australia. The university is regarded as one of the world's leading young universities (under 50 years old), ranked 1st in Australia and 11th in the world by the 2021 QS World University Rankings. UTS is a member of the Australian Technology Network, the Association of Southeast Asian Institutions of Higher Learning, and the Association of Commonwealth Universities.
6. University of Adelaide: The University of Adelaide is a public university located in Adelaide, South Australia. Established in 1874, it is the third-oldest university in Australia. It is from the top 1% of universities worldwide.
7. University of Melbourne: The University of Melbourne is a public research university located in Melbourne, Australia. Founded in 1853, it is Australia's second oldest university and the oldest in Victoria. It’s consistently ranked among the leading universities in the world, with international rankings of world universities placing it as number 1 in Australia and number 31 in the world.
8. The University of Western Australia: The University of Western Australia is a public research university in the Australian state of Western Australia. The university's main campus is in Perth, the state capital, with a secondary campus in Albany and various other facilities elsewhere. They are a research-intensive university ranked in the world's top 1% of academic institutions.
9. University of Canberra: The University of Canberra (UC) is a public university in Bruce, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory. It ranks in the World’s top 20 young universities.
10. The University of Queensland: The University of Queensland, also known as Queensland University, is a public research university located primarily in Brisbane, the capital city of the Australian state of Queensland. UQ is a research-intensive institution in the top 50 universities world-wide, offering choice and opportunity in undergraduate and postgraduate learning.
How much will it cost to Study in Australia?
A lot of students aspiring to study abroad have this common question. How much does it cost to study in Australia? Today, I will give you a brief on the expenses you will have to incur to study in Australia.
Australia is the world’s most expensive destination for international students due to its high tuition fee and cost of living. Australian universities’ fee structure is almost similar to that of the US but the cost of living is relatively higher. For getting admission to an Australian university, you need to pay the following:
🔴 IELTS Examination Fee: Most of the colleges in Australia accept IELTS, an examination fee of which is Rs.13000.
🔴 Tuition Fee: Depending on the level of the program and the institute, the tuition fee ranges between 8 lacs – 20 lacs INR per annum.
🔴 Pathway Program Fee: If you cannot get direct entry to a degree program, institutes will offer you pathway programs which will cost you approx 17000 INR per week.
🔴 Living cost: The cost of living in Australia is among the highest where you can expect to spend around 75000 to 125000 INR per month to cover all your living expenses, including accommodation, food, and social activities.
🔴 Airfare: One-way flight to Australia will cost you around Rs 50,000 for 11 hours of journey.
🔴 Visa Fee: A student visa for Australia will cost Rs 10000 which is not refundable.
I am sure by now, many of you must be thinking it’s way too expensive and out of your budget. But don’t worry, let me brief you on how you can lower the cost and easily afford to study in Australia:
💵 Part-time Job: You can work part-time up to 20 hours a week and earn a handsome salary of approx. RS 75000 per month which can easily cover your living expenses
💵 Full-time Job: You can also work 40 hours a week during semester endings and vacations.
💵 Scholarship: Most Australian universities offer scholarships to international students based on merit. And you may get up to a 75% waiver on tuition fees.
💵 Post Study Work Visa: You can work up to 4 years after completion of the course and easily recoup the investment you make towards your education.
So, what are you waiting for? Apply to your favorite university in Australia through Growshala, India’s leading overseas education consultant. We have tie-ups with 50+ universities and colleges in Australia. Our experienced counselors will help you select the best course and college as per your profile and preferences. Also, we will provide you the complete end-to-end solution from counseling to admissions, visa, and post-landing assistance.